Website builders are a perfect solution for individuals and small businesses to start a website without hiring a developer. However, finding the best website builder can be tricky for beginners. Website builders are tools that typically allow the construction of websites without manual code editing. The first websites were created in the early 1990s. These sites were manually written in HTML.
Basically there are many website builders in the market and you are confused which is the right one? In this article, I’ll help you to choose the best website builder by going over the pros and cons of the most popular ones.
- Gator by hostgator
- Go daddy website builder
- Big commerce
WordPress (WordPress.org) is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP & MySQL. Features include plugin architecture and a template system. It is most associated with blogging but supports other types of web content including more traditional mailing lists and forums, media galleries, and online stores. Used by more than 60 million websites, including 30.6% of the top 10 million websites as of Jan 2019.
- Unlimited possibilities of customizing themes (PHP, CSS, HTML code modification).
- Unlimited usage of free, paid or custom plugins.
- Backup, Update and Security to be handled by oneself
- Need good webhosting to use SELF-HOSTED WORDPRESS which is cost a bit.
- User is responsible for any updates and backup of their blog.
- You are responsible to prevent the spam.
A German youngster living in Canada decided to sell snowboards online. He created his own ecommerce solution and soon realized others could also use it.
Fast-forward several years and Shopify has become the #1 tool for many (and that youngster is now loaded). Shopify is the leading ecommerce solution with more than 800,000 online stores, offices around the globe, $63 billion worth of sales and over 3,000 employees.
- Shopify has a decent security system and website load speed. It means that you won’t need to worry about customers` payments.
- Speaking about customization, Shopify uses a different set up to customize their themes rather than using simple and more common code for their templates.
- Shopify has an active development community and marketplace to help meet your needs. Free and premium Themes are available and can be extended by using the built-in Theme editor
- App integrations can disrupt your Theme.
- Initial setup – Opening a basic store in Shopify is easy, but optimizing it as per your needs requires lots of customization, which requires a bit of coding knowledge. For store development, theme customization, redirecting to custom domain might require you to hire a professional Shopify developer.
- Professional reporting functionality is only provided on more expensive plans.
- Shopify Payments only allows you to sell from certain countries. If you want to sell from another country you will need to use a third-party payment gateway.
GATOR WEBSITE BUILDER:
HostGator is one of the world’s biggest providers when it comes to web hosting. It offers an array of services that are second to none, one of which is its very own website builder, Gator. Gator is a simple website builder, aimed at those with little technical expertise who are in need of a basic website. It combines an intuitive drag-and-drop editor with a handful of templates. It offers you put your own spin on them.
- Editor is incredibly easy to use Gator. It is a fully hosted platform, so you don’t have to worry about the software, updates, or backups.
- You also have access to a built-in stock photo library, so you can find and add beautiful photos on your website.
- Gator is a paid product. They don’t sell your data or show any ads on your website.
- Not suitable for complex websites.
- There is a limitation in services provided by hostgator.
- Gator can be used to build a small business website, a store with limited items. However, it is no match for the power of the most popular website builder, WordPress.
Wix.com Ltd. is an Israeli cloud-based web development platform that was first developed and popularized by the Israeli company also called Wix. It allows users to create HTML5 websites and mobile sites through the use of online drag and drop tools. Along with its headquarters and other offices in Israel, Wix also has offices in Canada, Brazil, Germany, India, Ireland, Lithuania, the United States, and Ukraine. Users may add functionality such as social plug-ins, e-commerce, online marketing, contact forms, e-mail marketing, and community forums to their web sites using a variety of Wix-developed and third-party applications.
- You can build something relatively sufficient Very fast.
- Pre designed high-quality templates. The templates are designed by top quality and ranked graphics designers.
- You can use support services 24/7 whenever you get stuck with something.
- Using Wix you can build Business, Online Store, photography, Music, Blog, resume and portfolio websites in just a few hours. Wix also gives you nifty tools such as photo filters and animated texts, which are not offered by many other platforms.
- SEO is marketing strategy for websites: Wix platform provides you tools and guide that you can use to optimize website for organic traffic such as from Google, Bing and Yahoo etc. search engines.
- Prices can be tough to afford for premium services and functionality for a fresher or students. Compared to other website builders, wiz is 20-25% more expensive with their paid plans, especially if you plan to use it for more than a few months.
- You can’t implement your own designs ideas .For example, if I want unique designs with various unique user experiences it’s not easy to do in Wix. Starting out with wix is easy but once done it’s hard to give it a bespoke touch.
- In the free version, you can’t access all the functionality and features. Such as if you want to access all the good design elements, or if you want your own domain without wix ads.
- No way to export your data in Wix in case you decide to move to another platform.
“Word Press is a factory that makes webpages” is a core analogy designed to clarify what WordPress is & what it does. It stores your content that allows you to create & publish webpages only requiring a domain and a hosting site to work. It is created by Matt Mullenweg, the co-founder of WordPress open source software, hence the name WordPress.com. To learn more about this see our article (WORDPRESS.COM VS WORDPRESS.ORG).
- Open source structure – many programmers openly share their code online, which results in the ability of users to save developing time and costs by using existing code already written.
- SEO friendly – the basic system is not particularly SEO friendly, but a number of plugins can be installed to make up for it. It is relatively easy to find and apply those plugins to achieve better SEO results.
- The system is made for the mass market, so the admin interface is convenient and friendly towards non-professionals within technology.
- Since all of your system’s code is available online, it is also easy for hackers to find security holes. For example, you may have a plugin installed that allows you to easily send out newsletters. What can happen, however, with the circumvention of your knowledge, is that it will transfer your entire mailing list to the plugin developer.
- WordPress needs frequent updates. Simply installing WordPress is going to help you very much as this platform requires a theme and at least several plugins to work properly. WordPress updates can often render parts of your theme or some plugins usable. The more plugins you use, the more likely it is for you to encounter more compatibility problems.
- The whole maintenance process in WordPress can be quite challenging, and you have to be ready to make adjustments to your plugins and theme in order to have a functional website.
- To make certain change your WordPress site, you have to possess HTML, CSS and PHP knowledge. If you want to personalize in a unique way, or to enhance its design, you may find yourself needing to write numerous complicated code lines.
GO DADDY WEBSITE BUILDER:
GoDaddy is, without a doubt, one of the most established internet companies. Their main business is domain names and web hosting but you can also build your website directly with them. GoDaddy Inc. is an American publicly traded Internet domain registrar and web hosting company, headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona and incorporated in Delaware. As of March 2019, GoDaddy has approximately 18.5 million customers and over 9,000 employees worldwide. The company is known for its advertising on TV and in the newspapers. It has been involved in several controversies related to censorship.
- Like many of the best site builder hosts, GoDaddy bundles hundreds of theme options with their site builder plans, all tailored to your specific needs.
- The “SEO Wizard” will help you get your site ready for the search engine.
- It provides complete customization.
- Templates contain high-quality stock images, great if you don’t have your own.
- You can only create an online store on the most expensive plan.
- Not being able to password-protect, certain pages of your website is a major faux pas in the web hosting world these days, so GoDaddy’s lack of password-protected pages functionality is the only other thumbs-down feature we can think of — but again, this won’t matter much to many users.
- With GoDaddy, content migration is not possible. If you want to switch things up and change the template, you will lose all content on the website.
Web.com Group Inc. is an American company headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida that provides domain name registration and web development services. Established in 1999 by Darin Brannan, the company was known as Website Pros Inc. until early 2008, You get industry-specific templates, stock photos, and even a custom domain name all for $1.95. Not even the outstanding Wix gives you a custom domain for that little cash. It’s definitely one of the best choices for someone who is just starting out and has no idea how to build or manage website.
- There are so many great things to say about this company but I have to start somewhere so I’ll start with customer service. This is one of the best things about web.com. A lot of companies promise to provide you with a dedicated customer service team but web.com really deliver.
- Publish a site almost instantly: Web.com gives you an industry-specific template with free photos, headings, menus and other content. That potentially saves a lot of time and hassle.
- Web.com pro is that it works alright for someone who wants a very basic drag and drop type website even though they have the money for something better.
- The full price of the cheapest Web.com website builder is $22.95 per month – more than twice the price of a Wix plan that has more (and better) features.
- You don’t get to browse templates before building your site in Web.com. Instead, you have to say what business you’re in, then choose from three matching layouts.
- One more issue is that they do need to work on is the live chat feature on their website. If you really want to experience the great customer service that they can offer, you are definitely better off calling them up on the phone.
BigCommerce is a privately held technology company that develops e-commerce software for businesses. The company was founded in 2009 and has 456 employees with headquarters in Austin, Texas and additional offices in San Francisco, California and Sydney, Australia.
BigCommerce has features for the first-time web designer, as well as advanced users. Clean templates are easy to use and fully customizable thanks to BigCommerce’s developer tools
- Big commerce has the most built-in features of any ecommerce platform.
- Fantastic seo tools to boost the seo ranking. Its SEO features are great – you can create short URLs, AMP format is available on all its templates, and automatic image optimization is included on all plans.
- There are no transaction fees, even if you use a third-party payment gateway.
- Bigcommerce is a very flexible solution for vendors with a lot of different product variants.
- It is bit more expensive than most the website builder.
- Despite its great features and its friendly layout, Bigcommerce doesn’t offer a free plan or a cheap entry-level plan.
- Limits are placed on annual online sales – and if you exceed them, you’ll need to upgrade to a more expensive monthly plan.